Thursday, October 27, 2011

Double Injury

((sadly not as cool as a Double Rainbow))
Injured again. And it sucks.
Backstory: ran my first marathon, a week later sped through a 5K, developed peroneal tendonitis on my left foot. Went to physical therapy, got stretches/homework to do at home.

Unfortunately, this time the injury is in my right foot. After a 9 miler last week, I got pretty intense pain (only when walking) on the inside (calcaneal area) of my right heel. It faded last week, but after 10 this week flared up again.
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but it feels like tendonitis. Again.

The physical therapist told me that a very common cause of foot pain is tight calves. When the calf muscle tightens up, it pulls unevenly on the foot tendons and causes injuries. Because of this, she recommended I pick up a Step Stretch.
The Step Stretch is basically a piece of plastic that rocks back at an angle and gives a deep calf stretch. It's intense, but really loosens up your calves. Hurts so good.

Between using the Step Stretch and doing other balance exercises, I wonder if my current "injury" is just my foot tendons becoming used to correctly balancing my weight when I run.

Regardless, I'm icing, stretching and reducing my mileage drastically. The most important thing I learned from my first injury experience: running through pain is always a bad idea.

So today, instead of a 5 miler, I hit the pool. Not as much fun, but alright nonetheless.
How do you deal with injury/setbacks when working out? I'm sick of being out of commission!

2 comments:

  1. Oh damn. I'm sorry! That's the worst. I hope you feel better soon. Maybe I'll send you some agarose gel cookies to cheer you up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuuuuck! get those feet better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...