Sunday, October 9, 2011

Big House Big Heart 10K Recap

What a lovely day it's been! I woke up and took on the Big House Big Heart 10K for the second time, and nailed a 3.5 minute PR!
The story begins with an early morning breakfast of coffee and banana + choc PB.
We biked to the start, right at Michigan Stadium (aka the Big House). Lining up with the 4,000 other 10Kers (10,000 more would run the 5K later) was exhilarating and the sun rose just before we started.
And then we were off! I had a few goals: start slow, PR from last year (1:00:58) and have fun. I've been struggling with a minor cold all week but it didn't affect me too much.

The loop is nice: you run through campus, downtown residential areas and finish on the 50 yard line at the Big House. The fall colors have really started to pop in Ann Arbor, too. So pretty.
Mile 1: 9:46

Mile 2: 9:21

Mile 3: 9:10

During the second round, I tried to pick up the pace but was really starting to hurt. Running this fast is hard!
Mile 4: 9:20

Mile 5: 8:55

Before I knew it, we were rounding the last corner to head into the Big House! The tunnel in is the absolute COOLEST part-- I get goosebumps every time!

Mile 6: 8:56

Mile 0.24: 8:05 pace

Then it's just a short sprint across the finish...
And I was done with a time of 57:14, a new PR!

Post-run rice krispie treats occurred. And I attempted the Heisman trophy pose.
Clearly I'm not Heisman material.

Once I made it back home, it was egg sandwich and apple cider time. Demolished in 0.005 seconds.
I love this race and was so happy to PR! Can't wait for the rest of my fall racing schedule to get here!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...