Thursday, March 31, 2011

Vegetable Frittata

I use downtime in lab to get caught up on news. Generally I spend about an hour or two browsing The New York Times most days a week. I'm in love. Lately when I've been scanning the Health section, the dinner recipes catch my eye and I end up reproducing the meal for dinner. This week: Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata.

Done.

Super tasty and full of protein and veggies, this is a great meal to make ahead of time and keep leftovers around for lunch during the week. I modified the recipe a bit to make it work for my tastes and my smaller servings needs.

The goods:
-4 eggs
-1/2 cup rice (or other) milk
-Handfuls of spinach
-1 red pepper
-1/2 medium onion
-Handfuls of mushrooms
-1/2 cup chopped broccoli
-Garlic
-Feta cheese

Optional: TJ's Newton's Folly cider, to drink while cooking

Start by steaming the veggies in a pan on med/high heat.
Add beaten eggs and rice milk.
Reduce heat to low/med heat. Cover with lid (this cooks the top!)
Let it cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until mostly solidified. Open the lid and sprinkle feta cheese on top. Replace lid and cook for another 2-4 minutes, until solid.
The result is an eggy, vegetable delight. Because it's so filling, it gives me enough slices to have over salad or in a wrap for lunch during the week.
20 minutes start-to-finish, with leftovers and using only one pan-- I'm seeing a lot of frittatas in my future.

1 comment:

  1. Dang! This looks fabulous. Remind me that I've been meaning to send you my recipe for vegetarian cassoulet. Another totally delicious way to get in lots of veggies (and beans).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...