Sunday, March 6, 2011

Make-Ahead Meal 1: Indian Sweet Potato Hash

One of the only ways I can manage balancing work, classes, marathon training, grad school and healthy eating is by making 'Make-Ahead Meals" that can be eaten in different ways throughout the week. After browsing the blogosphere this weekend, I shopped up at Meijer and hit the kitchen tonight.

Inspired by a few different recipes, I created the most delicious meal I've had this year. Seriously. Its Indian Sweet Potato Hash.

Indian Sweet Potato Hash
Inspired by a little fancy
1/2 medium onion
1 large sweet potato
1 cup brown rice
1 small can chickpeas
15oz can diced tomatoes
Big handful spinach
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp curry powder (mild, medium or hot, to taste)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Salt, pepper to taste

Start by cooking the rice in a pot. In a separate skillet, sautee the onion and garlic, then add shredded sweet potato and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the entire can (including juice) of diced tomatoes along with the chickpeas. Season all of this with generous amounts of curry powder and some salt and pepper. Finally add a handful of spinach at the end to steam and provide some nutrients.

Served over rice: absolutely delicious. I'm salivating now just thinking about it!

The best thing about making this meal ahead of time is that I'm covered for lunch the rest of the week. To change it up, I can put the hash over spinach and eat it as a cold salad, heat it up with rice for the traditional meal or even wrap it in a tortilla for a curry wrap!

This meal also provides a lot of excellent nutrients, which were great for my sore legs today. Yesterday I braved the rain and tackled 10 miles while on Spring Break in Indiana.

The hills! After my speedy 9 miles with Kyla in Arkansas (elevation gain of 4 ft) I forgot how much harder it is to run in a varied environment. This ten-miler took me to an elevation gain of 398ft!
Splits:
Mile 1: 9:54
Mile 2: 9:56
Mile 3: 9:58
Mile 4: 9:32
Mile 5: 10:02
Mile 6: 9:56
Mile 7: 10:24 (100ft climb!)
Mile 8: 10:32
Mile 9: 10:04
Mile 10: 10:13

Gatorade never tasted so good.

I had a wonderful Spring Break in the South but flying back over Michigan I was so happy to be home.

Do you make meals ahead for the week?

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty much the only way I cook. When I'd cook at my parents' place, it was for six, and I never learned how to scale recipes down, so I just make something for the week. After a couple years I'm used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! I'm obsessed with curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DRINK THAT WATERRRR!!! Oh how I miss heckling Sami at football games with you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...