Sunday, March 20, 2011

12 Hard Miles

I've been sick all this past week. With a week left before the DC National Half Marathon, I needed to get a long run in.
I tried to rest up this weekend and feel better, but I still felt sick come Saturday morning. Instead of tackling the 12 miles on my training plan, I got outside for a quick run in the sun to break in a new pair of shoes (review coming soon!).
After spending the day with my mom, I crawled into bed at 9pm and went to bed. I'm getting so sick of being sick and I needed to be ready for today. I slept for 10 hours, and this morning woke up and met my running partner for 12 miles. Ariell and I are both running the DC National Half this Saturday so she needed a long run too.

I fueled up this morning with a chocolate Odwalla bar and a banana. After an hour of digestion, it was time to hit the road.
The first few miles were rough. Ariell is faster than I am and being sick, I couldn't keep up with her pace. We parted after 4 miles and she continued on the loop while I slowed down. With the race so close, I knew I could take these miles at a slow pace and be rested for Saturday.

Splits:
Mile 1: 9:41
Mile 2: 10:10
Mile 3: 9:46
Mile 4: 9:39
Mile 5: 10:22 <--first shotblok
Mile 6: 10:15
Mile 7: 10:30
Mile 8: 9:55 <--second shotblok
Mile 9: 10:08
Mile 10: 10:01
Mile 11: 10:08
Mile 12: 10:21

Total: 12.0 miles in 2:00:55

At Mile 5 and Mile 8 I ate a Shot Blok. I love these as my mid-distance fuel. Sugary and chewy, and they taste so good. Washed down with 2 bottles of water throughout the run.
All in all it was a hard run. I still felt pretty sick and stopped every few miles to drink and blow my nose. I'm glad it's over though and glad that I got it in. Post-run I went to Chipotle with a friend and came home to Bigcat. Perfect.

Now it's just time to rest and take a little taper before 13.1 on Saturday. Can't wait to see my best girl friends and run in the city! Just a rainy week in Michigan to get through first :)

How was your workout this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...