Wednesday, March 16, 2011

10 Minute Meals

The sun is back in Michigan!!!
Last week and this week have been absolutely INSANE. After getting back from spring break, I started working in a new lab, kept running hard and had a great weekend. This week I've been sick and studying for a final exam tomorrow morning. Yikes!


I touched on some of my meal preparation philosophy in my make-ahead meal post, but the way I cook throughout the week can be described in one word: Fast.

After spending all day in lab and at class, I wrap up my afternoons with runs from 3-6 miles. By the time I get home at 7pm (or later!) I'm ravenous and have no patience for fancy food. It'd be easy just to make a frozen meal, but I know that's not the healthiest of choices. Here are my meals that go from cutting board to plate in 10 minutes flat.

1) Easy Egg Sandwich

This monster came about after a fast 5 mile run a few weeks ago and it was super filling. To make, slice peppers and onions and sautee for about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and crack two eggs (or one if you're not as hungry) and fry for about 5 minutes, flipping once. Toast two pieces of whole wheat bread and assemble sandwich with spinach and feta. Devour.

2) Veggie Quesadilla
I had this on Monday after the fastest 3 miles I've ever run (8:58 min/mi pace, baby!) and it did not disappoint. To make, steam onions, mushrooms, garlic and asparagus in a pan for 5 minutes. Then assemble a whole wheat tortilla with spinach and cheddar cheese and add veggies and black beans. Fold the tortilla in half and return to veggie pan to cook for 1 minute on each side. Enjoy.

3) Hearty French Toast
This is the quickest meal, both in prep and in time taken to eat. Start with 2 slices of thick, seedy bread (mine came from a local bakery for free!) and dip in a mixture of 1 egg, 1/2 cup vanilla rice milk and 1 Tbsp peanut flour. Fry in pan on each side for about 2 minutes. Plate with jam or honey on top. Delicious!

Quick meals are the only way I can stay sane with everything else going on. As an added bonus, each meal uses only one pan! Perfect.

How do you make your meals fit your lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...