Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lemon Teriyaki Tofu and Quinoa

Although I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now, I've never cooked tofu. Ever! Finally I bit the bullet and bought some this weekend and at $1.49/block, it's so cheap!

Last night I whipped this up without a recipe and it turned out so well. Behold: lemon teriyaki tofu and quinoa salad.
The star of this meal is really the sauce, a mix of lemon juice and Trader Joe's Soyaki. The flavors meld together and the result is tangy and delicious.
Here's what you need (serves 2):
1 block extra firm tofu
4 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp Soyaki (or other teriyaki or soy sauce)
1 yellow squash
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
2 green onions, chopped, for garnish

Start by cubing the tofu and marinating in the lemon juice and Soyaki mixture for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, start the quinoa by adding 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup of water and setting it to boil. After it boils, reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
Add the tofu to a pan with the chopped vegetables to sautee until tofu is lightly browned and vegetables are soft.
When ready, put quinoa in a bowl and add tofu and vegetables on top. Finish with a drizzle of Soyaki and lemon juice and sprinkle on green onions.
Try not to eat it all in one sitting.
This makes for a delicious and super filling meal! And the leftover tofu and veggies are great on a salad the next day.
Demolished.

How do you cook tofu?

4 comments:

  1. Today I made tofu for the first time. I marinated it in some peanut sauce, then added it to my curry fried rice. My mouth is quite thankful. My stomach, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!! My first cooking attempt with tofu was a few weeks ago and did NOT go as well as yours. My boyfriend just made us a really great crispy tofu and thai curry soup dish last week that was phenomenal but I wasn't involved in cooking so I'll have to get the recipe from him.

    I'm planning to get another brick of tofu this week and your recipe is totally on my list to try! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! More tofu newbies :) Both of your dishes sound AWESOME and I'll try currying my tofu ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently you have to hit okay like three times before a comment actually posts which I apprently did not do a few days ago, so I'ma re-try because I think this is a good one. First of all, your cooking looks amazing as always. Secondly, a friend introduced me to Pumpkin Tofu Cheesecake not too long ago. One word: delish. The silken texture of tofu makes this amaaazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...