Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ann Arbor Farmer's Market and CSA

This week marks my return to fresh produce! After spending most of the year lazily purchasing all of my produce at Meijer and Kroger, I've finally come to terms with the amazing amounts of local fresh fruits and vegetables available.

First stop this weekend: the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market!
I've been to the farmer's market before, but always forget how great it is! Located on Detroit street in Kerrytown, it brings together a wide range of farmers from all over the area. This weekend I went straight for the organic fruit-- raspberries and cherries.
They were so succulent and sweet I helped myself to plenty from the bag :)
The rest of the market has plenty of vegetables, flowers, plants, and handicrafts.

I didn't purchase any vegetables at the market because on Sunday I went to my very first picking of the Microbiology department CSA-- community shared agriculture! The principle of a CSA is this: farmers pick and deliver a wide range of local and in season vegetables every week for a membership cost. The Microbiology department CSA is just starting and I offered up my volunteer picking and sorting services for a free membership. Score!

After a muddy and sweaty picking on Sunday night, Monday morning after lab meeting I was rewarded with the goods!
I love that we get delivery straight to our labs. In this week's bag: kale, green beans, onions, mint, salad mix and more herbs. Plus, peonies!!
I'm so excited to be a part of the CSA and can't wait for the rest of the season. I especially love the peonies on my desk-- they really brighten up the windowless lab!
My fridge is full of fresh berries and vegetables. Here's hoping I can spend sometime enjoying them this week!
Where do you buy your fruits and vegetables?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the beaker for a vase. I'd do the same. :) I tend to buy my fruits & veggies at the grocery store, but I do hit up the farmers' market nearby when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so jealous- love seeing fabulous farmer's markets!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...