Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Somewhat Healthy Apple Pie

In college I finished off many a bad cafeteria meal with a piece of apple pie from the dessert bar. I'd microwave it for 30 seconds, add some ice cream, and forget the mess that was my college life.

Since coming to grad school there's no dining hall open and full of pre-made desserts. Last night I decided enough was enough: I was getting some apple pie! So I consulted Better Homes and Gardens.
This cookbook never leads me astray. It's one I grew up with, and my mom passed down her version to me last year (on the left). In college I bought the updated version to have in my dorm, because I missed the peach cobbler recipe!

My version of the BH&G apple pie is a little bit healthier and pretty quick to make. You're supposed to use granny smith apples for the pie, but I live on the edge, and honeycrisp are the bomb.

Peel and slice those apples (I only used 3 of these guys),
and add to the dry mix of sugars and flour.
Don't have time/energy/crisco to make your own crust? Get some of these.
Lay one in a pie plate.

Put those apples on top,
and then get funky with your top designs. The only cookie cutters I have are from gingerbread cookie making, but I think it looks pretty sharp.
Bake.
Eat, preferably warm and with ice cream.
This pie was far better than the ones I had in college, and was pretty fun to make, too. Definitely tastes like fall!

Recipe
Makes 1 pie, 16 small slices.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes

Ingredients
1 box frozen pie crust (or make your own!)
3 large apples, sliced, any kind (I like granny smith and honey crisp!)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 TBSP flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1) Peel, slice and core your apples.
2) Mix sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and pour over apples.
3) Unroll one pie crust and place into pan. Pour apples on top and spread evenly.
4) Unroll other pie crust and cut into strips for lattice top, cookie cutter shapes for a shaped top, or cover the pie entirely for a flat crust.
5) Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, check, then bake until top of pie is slightly brown.
6) Let cool, slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...