Saturday, June 4, 2011

Saturday Swim-day

This morning I woke up with one thing in mind: swimming! It's super hot out today and I wanted to get in a short workout before tomorrow's 5K.

I'm going to race in my first sprint triathlon in July! I'm really excited, but I'm pretty unprepared for the swim portion. I'm foremost a runner, and a city cyclist, but swimming and I do not get along. I headed to my favorite outdoor pool today to do my first swim workout since August.
One reason I generally don't go swimming is because of all of the gear you need. A suit, goggles, swim cap, towel etc. With running, all I need is my shoes and I'm off for a great workout.
Anyway, today I swam 500m. The sprint tri swim distance is 500m, so I'm going to work on building up to swimming the whole time! I swam 250m at an easy pace (stopping every 50m) and then did pull drills and kick drills for another 200m. Finally, I had a 50m cool down. All in all I wrapped it up in about 25 minutes.
Post-swim, I headed to the race expo for the 5K tomorrow.
And had a delicious chocolate cherry smoothie.
Into the blender (for 2 servings):
1 heaping cup frozen unsweetened cherries
1 frozen banana
1-2 cups milk (more if needed)
3 huge scoops of chocolate protein powder

Next up on today's agenda? Lab!
What new workouts have you tried lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...