Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bacteria woes

Every day in grad school I do research in a microbiology laboratory. I love science, and I love being able to do science. Right now I'm in my first year in grad school and taking classes while 'rotating' through different labs to hopefully find the one I want to spend the next 5 years doing my dissertation in.

It's a lot of hard work, but I really am passionate about science.
(from TAing Analytical Chem at Earlham)

That is, except when my experiments fail.
These are my agar plates (food for bacteria) that my bacterial colonies are growing on. Both plates should have the same amount and kind of colonies on them (big, round, fuzzy), but the one on the right was contaminated with another species (tiny and numerous). This ruined the experiment. Unfortunately these things happen at work, but they're extremely frustrating!

Today was an off day for working out. So I put down my science and went to a lab's Mardi Gras party down the hall. Sometimes you just need a break.

How's your work week been?

2 comments:

  1. Yay for breaks and parties! :)

    Work week has been SHORT for me! I got a snow day yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great run! The smoothie looks good. I gotta try adding pumpkin to mine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...