Monday, February 7, 2011

When Long Runs Don't Happen

This weekend brought another snowstorm. Saturday there was a downpour of snow!

So I postponed my planned 6 miler until Sunday. I spent all Saturday looking like this:
On Sunday, the sidewalks were still super snowy, slick, and wet. This left me with only one choice for my long run: the treadmill.

I went to the gym and got all set up. I brought a huge water bottle, reading material to cover the treadmill screen and a new playlist. The campus gym is pretty low-tech-- there are no TVs or fans so you gotta make do.

After 3 miles, I took a short walking break. As soon as I stopped running I was hit with massive stomach pain :( I tried jogging another half mile and had to call it quits. A weekend of too much chocolate and beer foiled my attempts at a long run.

On the way home I sulked a little bit. I kept having to remind myself running is not easy. In fact, I once heard a saying that only 1 out of every 3 runs truly feels 'great' and I have to agree. While I do love the sport, it's hard on the body and mind.

Rationally, I realize that missing this run won't have a major impact on my overall performance. It doesn't mean I failed as a runner or should be ashamed. Running 6 miles is hard, and trying to run it indoors is even harder. I should be proud of the 3.5 miles I did crank out on a snowy Sunday afternoon.

So I went home and made Evan's Better than Boxed Brownies for the Superbowl party. They were a big hit.
There was also tons of other food- chips, dips, pizza, wings, salsa, St. Louis butter bars and of course beer. I was rooting for the Packers, and they won!

Touchdown.

The best commercial of the night hands down was Chrysler's "Imported From Detroit". As I watch it I remember running through Detroit for my half-marathon and looking at the beautiful monuments of the city. I hope it continues to be revived.


Who were you rooting for in the Superbowl? Or did you watch the Puppybowl instead? The puppies were adorable!

2 comments:

  1. How fun to read your blogs! I think you did fantastic getting in over 3 miles! I'm so proud of you and the Packers!
    xxoogma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, it's discouraging when we can't do what we want our bodies to do, but you're right - it's not always easy. And you will be fine the next time you run. :)

    My favorite commercial was definitely the one with the little boy dressed as Darth Vader. The dad in that commercial is JUST LIKE Christopher. Loved it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0 <-- that's it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...